If you’ve ever stood before a wall of fishing hooks in the tackle shop wondering what to buy for an offshore trip, don’t feel alone. When you’re fishing the ocean, what you tie on the end of your line can be one of the most important decisions you make. With trust and determination, fishermen turn en masse to Owner Hooks to secure their catch. Gather the info in the following Owner Circle Hooks review as FishtFight looks at their Reef & Rig, Mutu, and Mosquito builds.
Owner Circle Hooks: Mutu – Mosquito – Reef & Rig
Product: Owner Mutu, Reef & Rig, and Mosquito Circle Hooks.
Overall Ranking: 94 out of 100.
Price: From low to high range depending on the model.
Company/Owner: Owner American Corp / Tainjin Owner Co., Ltd.
Intro To Owner Circle Hooks
Owner Hooks As A Company
The origins of Owner Hooks goes back to 1968 Japan when the company 1st launched under the Presidency of Mr. Kozo Nakamichi. With over 50-years of experience in the fishing hook industry, Owner Hooks has come a long way.
These days, there’s hardly a fresh or saltwater tackle store in the USA that doesn’t display their hooks. International anglers gear up with the China/Japanese based Tainjin Owner Co. Fishermen in the USA, however, benefit from the Owner American Corp located in Costa Mesa, California.
Owner Hooks In The USA
The Owner American Corp has over 30-years of practice in the art of hook making and it shows. After a huge boost from the success of their C’ultiva brand of lures, Owner American Corp was able to expand their operations. They continue to offer arguably the world’s strongest and sharpest hooks known to anglers.
The Precision Of Owner Circle Hooks
Owner Circle Hooks, in particular, are of immense use to ocean anglers. Their deeply curved bend comes to a needle-sharp point much closer to the shank than other designs. This shortening of the gape (distance between point and shank) helps hook fish in the mouth instead of the gut. It also facilitates a more natural swim when using live bait.
Anglers will find when perusing the list of Owner Products that they manufacture three main types of circle hooks. There’s the well-known Owner Mutu Circle Hook which comes in designs such as the Mutu Light, Ringed Mutu, and Mutu Hybrid. Certain situations may call for the Mosquito or Reef & Rig Circle Hooks which will also be covered in this review.
View Circle Hooks On Amazon
Owner Circle Hook Models, Specs, & Features
Circle Hook Models
Owner Mosquito Circle Hook
Of all the different Owner Circle Hooks, the Mosquito uses the lightest wire. Exceptional for allowing smaller size live bait to have a natural swim, they also work well for rigging small plastics. Owner Mosquito Circle Hooks feature the Owner “hangnail” point that curves back towards the shank. They are light line hooks perfect for Bonefish, Pampano, and Panfish.
Owner Mosquito Circle Hooks come in pocket packs only. They feature a Forged Shank, Super Needle Point, and corrosion-resistant Chrome Finish. Check the list below for full product manufacturing details:
- 5185-051 – Size #6 – 10 Per Pack
- 5185-071 – Size #4 – 10 Per Pack
- 5185-091 – Size #2 – 9 Per Pack
- 5185-101 – Size #1 – 8 Per Pack
- 5185-111 – Size 1/0 – 7 Per Pack
- 5185-121 – Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack
Owner Reef & Rig Circle Hook
The Owner Reef & Rig Circle Hook is a big fish special. Its design suits larger bait fish and its strength will exceed the enormous gamefish they hook into. Reef & Rig hooks have a point that turns 90° towards the shank and is not offset. They work exceptionally well versus bottom giants when anglers need to pull them away from their cover.
Owner constructs Reef & Rig Circle Hooks out of high carbon steel with a black chrome finish. They carry the same forged “hangnail” point as the majority of Owner Circle Hooks and come in the following Pocket Pack sizes.
- 5174RR-111: Size 1/0 – 9 Per Pack | 5174RR-121: Size 2/0 – 8 Per Pack
- 5174RR-131: Size 3/0 – 8 Per Pack | 5174RR-141: Size 4/0 – 7 Per Pack
- 5174RR-151: Size 5/0 – 7 Per Pack | 5174RR-161: Size 6/0 – 7 Per Pack
- 5174RR-171: Size 7/0 – 6 Per Pack | 5174RR-181: Size 8/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5174RR-191: Size 9/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5174RR-201: Size 10/0 – 4 Per Pack
The base of the Owner Mutu collection uses a double extra-strong shank along with the hangnail point. They work well with sardine size baitfish to give the most natural presentation. Owner Mutu Circle Hooks consist of high carbon steel and carry the corrosion resistant black chrome finish. Fish them when targeting such species as tuna, cobia, cod, dorado, porgy, snapper, and many others.
Owner Mutu Hooks are available in sizes as small as a #4 and as large as 6/0. They come in both Pocket and the larger quantity Pro Packs. Check the list below for full details.
- 5163-071: Size #4 – 8 Per Pack | 5163-091: Size #2 – 8 Per Pack
- 5163-101: Size #1 – 7 Per Pack | 5163-111: Size 1/0 – 6 Per Pack
- 5163-121: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack | 5163-131: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5163-141: Size 4/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5163-151: Size 5/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 5163-161: Size 6/0 – 3 Per Pack
- 5363-071: Size #4 – 46 Per Pack | 5363-091: Size #2 – 46 Per Pack
- 5363-101: Size #1 – 40 Per Pack | 5363-111: Size 1/0 – 34 Per Pack
- 5363-121: Size 2/0 – 34 Per Pack | 5363-131: Size 3/0 – 28 Per Pack
- 5363-141: Size 4/0 – 22 Per Pack | 5363-151: Size 5/0 – 22 Per Pack
- 5363-161: Size 6/0 – 17 Per Pack
It’s the same hook as the Mutu but with a super strong welded ring that attaches through the eye. Rings serve more than one purpose. They increase the overall strength of the hook by sharing some of the force and facilitate an even more realistic swim from live bait. When you hook up, the pivot action from the ring helps keep a strong hook set in the corner of the mouth.
Like the standard Owner Mutu Circle Hook, the ringed version features a composition of high carbon steel with a black chrome finish. Sizes range from 1/0 to 4/0 in both Pocket and Pro Packs. See the full details below:
- 5163R-111: Size 1/0 – 6 Per Pack | 5163R-121: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack
- 5163R-131: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack | 5163R-141: Size 4/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 5363R-111: Size 1/0 – 34 Per Pack | 5363R-121: Size 2/0 – 34 Per Pack
- 5363R-131: Size 3/0 – 28 Per Pack | 5363R-141: Size 4/0 – 22 Per Pack
Using the same shape as the standard Owner Mutu but with a lighter wire, the Owner Mutu Light aids the swim action of smaller baits. These hooks suit anglers fishing lighter line up to 25-pound test in fresh or saltwater. Tie on the Mutu Light against species like tarpon, striper, sea trout, snook, and many others.
Owner Mutu Light Circle Hooks come in Pocket & Pro Packs in black chrome and Pocket Packs in red color. Check the full details of their sizes and packaging below:
Chrome Pocket Packs
- 5114-011: Size #10 – 11 Per Pack | 5114-031: Size #8 – 11 Per Pack
- 5114-051: Size #6 – 10 Per Pack | 5114-071: Size #4 – 9 Per Pack
- 5114-091: Size #2 – 8 Per Pack | 5114-101: Size #1 – 8 Per Pack
- 5114-111: Size 1/0 – 7 Per Pack | 5114-121: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack
- 5114-131: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack | 5114-141: Size 4/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5114-151: Size 5/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5114-161: Size 6/0 – 3 Per Pack
- 5114-171: Size 7/0 – 3 Per Pack
Chrome Pro Packs
- 5314-051: Size #6 – 57 Per Pack | 5314-071: Size #4 – 51 Per Pack
- 5314-091: Size #2 – 46 Per Pack | 5314-101: Size #1 – 46 Per Pack
- 5314-111: Size 1/0 – 40 Per Pack | 5314-121: Size 2/0 – 34 Per Pack
- 5314-131: Size 3/0 – 28 Per Pack | 5314-141: Size 4/0 – 28 Per Pack
- 5314-151: Size 5/0 – 22 Per Pack | 5314-161: Size 6/0 – 17 Per Pack
- 5314-171: Size 7/0 – 17 Per Pack
Red Pocket Packs
- 5114-053: Size #6 – 10 Per Pack | 5114-073: Size #4 – 9 Per Pack
- 5114-093: Size #2 – 8 Per Pack | 5114-103: Size #1 – 8 Per Pack
- 5114-113: Size 1/0 – 7 Per Pack | 5114-123: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack
- 5114-133: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack | 5114-143: Size 4/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5114-153: Size 5/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5114-163: Size 6/0 – 3 Per Pack
- 5114-173: Size 7/0 – 3 Per Pack
Anglers go to the Owner Mutu Hybrid when they want a wire diameter in between the Mutu and the Mutu Light. These hooks have the chrome finish and also feature an offset point. They’re able to give medium to smaller baitfish a livelier swim than the Mutu while still possessing the strength to land big game fish. Mutu Hybrid Hooks fish perfectly against any of the same species you’d use the standard Mutu for but do not meet tournament regulations.
Owner Mutu Hybrid Circle Hooks come in Pocket Packs only and range in size from a #4 to a 7/0. See the list below for full details:
- 4174-071: Size #4 – 8 Per Pack | 4174-091: Size #2 – 8 Per Pack
- 4174-101: Size #1 – 7 Per Pack | 4174-111: Size 1/0 – 6 Per Pack
- 4174-121: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack | 4174-131: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 4174-141: Size 4/0 – 4 Per Pack | 4174-151: Size 5/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 4174-161: Size 6/0 – 3 Per Pack | 4174-171: Size 7/0 – 3 Per Pack
Ringed Mutu Hybrid
Expect to find the exact same hook shape and wire gauge in the Owner Ringed Mutu Hybrid as the non-ringed version. The extra material and manufacturing drive the cost up higher than the non-ringed hybrids, but the ring does add strength to the hook. It also allows the bait to swim with better action.
The ringed version of the Mutu Hybrid consists of the same high carbon steel and black chrome finish as the non-ringed hooks. Ringed Mutu Hybrid hooks come in Pocket Packs only and Owner manufactures them in the following sizes:
- 4174R-071: Size #4 – 8 Per Pack | 4174R-091: Size #2 – 8 Per Pack
- 4174R-101: Size #1 – 7 Per Pack | 4174R-111: Size 1/0 – 6 Per Pack
- 4174R-121: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack | 4174R-131: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 4174R-141: Size 4/0 – 4 Per Pack
When anglers take a step up in gear size to go after the true beasts of the ocean, they turn to the larger shanks of the Owner Super Mutu. The Super Mutu uses the same shape as the Mutu but with a much stronger shank. Sizes go up above 7/0 making them perfect for tuna or other species that vary in size. Use them for large chunk bait or bigger bait fish like larger size mackerel. Anglers attach the Super Mutu when they go after species like giant tuna, swordfish, sturgeon, and other oversized pelagics.
Owner Super Mutu Circle Hooks consist of high carbon steel and have the black chrome finish. More expensive due to the larger size, they come in Pocket Packs in the following sizes:
- 5127-141: Size 4/0 – 8 Per Pack | 5127-151: Size 5/0 – 7 Per Pack
- 5127-161: Size 6/0 – 6 Per Pack | 5127-171: Size 7/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5127-181: Size 8/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5127-191: Size 9/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 5127-201: Size 10/0 – 3 Per Pack | 5127-211: Size 11/0 – 2 Per Pack
- 5127-221: Size 12/0 – 2 Per Pack | 5127-241: Size 14/0 – 2 Per Pack
- 5127-261: Size 16/0 – 2 Per Pack
Ringed Super Mutu
Owner manufactures its Ringed Super Mutu in the same shape as the Super Mutu. Like the other ringed circle hooks, the ring helps in several ways. It adds strength to the overall hook, gives live bait a more natural swim, and wears less of a hole in their mouth.
Owner Ringed Super Mutu Circle Hooks contain high carbon steel and a black chrome finish. They come in Pocket Packs in the following sizes:
- 5127R-141: Size 4/0 – 8 Per Pack | 5127R-151: Size 5/0 – 7 Per Pack
- 5127R-161: Size 6/0 – 6 Per Pack | 5127R-171: Size 7/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5127R-181: Size 8/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5127R-191: Size 9/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 5127R-201: Size 10/0 – 3 Per Pack
Tournament Mutu Light
Very similar to the Owner Mutu Light, the Tournament Mutu Light meets specific specifications. Owner designs them with tournament use in mind as they feature a point that’s 100% in-line (non-offset) with the shank. The point also turns inward to form a perfect 90° angle to the shank. These specs meet both Billfish Tournament and Gulf Coast Reef Fishing regulations.
Owner Tournament Mutu Light Circle Hooks have a black chrome finish and consist of high carbon steel. They come in both Pocket and Pro Packs in the following sizes:
- 5114T-071: Size #4 – 9 Per Pack | 5114T-091: Size #2 – 8 Per Pack
- 5114T-101: Size #1 – 8 Per Pack | 5114T-111: Size 1/0 – 7 Per Pack
- 5114T-121: Size 2/0 – 6 Per Pack | 5114T-131: Size 3/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5114T-141: Size 4/0 – 5 Per Pack | 5114T-151: Size 5/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 5114T-161: Size 6/0 – 3 Per Pack | 5114T-171: Size 7/0 – 3 Per Pack
- 5114T-181: Size 8/0 – 3 Per Pack | 5114T-191: Size 9/0 – 3 Per Pack
- 5314T-071: Size #4 – 29 Per Pack | 5314T-091: Size #2 – 26 Per Pack
- 5314T-101: Size #1 – 25 Per Pack | 5314T-111: Size 1/0 – 22 Per Pack
- 5314T-121: Size 2/0 – 19 Per Pack | 5314T-131: Size 3/0 – 16 Per Pack
- 5314T-141: Size 4/0 – 16 Per Pack | 5314T-151: Size 5/0 – 13 Per Pack
- 5314T-161: Size 6/0 – 10 Per Pack
Owner Tournament Mutu Hooks have a double extra-strong shank and an in-line point that curves 90° inwards towards the shank. This shape meets the rule specifications of billfish tournaments and makes it easy to catch and release.
Tournament Mutu hooks come in larger sizes to match their targeted species. They are of extra thick high carbon steel with a black chrome finish. Anglers can choose from Pocket or Pro Packs in the following sizes:
- 5174-141: Size 4/0 – 5 Per Pack | 5174-151: Size 5/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5174-161: Size 6/0 – 5 Per Pack | 5174-171: Size 7/0 – 5 Per Pack
- 5174-181: Size 8/0 – 4 Per Pack | 5174-191: Size 9/0 – 4 Per Pack
- 5174-201: Size 10/0 – 3 Per Pack
- 5374-141: Size 4/0 – 23 Per Pack | 5374-151: Size 5/0 – 23 Per Pack
- 5374-161: Size 6/0 – 23 Per Pack | 5374-171: Size 7/0 – 23 Per Pack
- 5374-181: Size 8/0 – 18 Per Pack | 5374-191: Size 9/0 – 18 Per Pack
- 5374-201: Size 10/0 – 14 Per Pack
Grander Tournament Marlin
When fish like tuna, sailfish, black and blue marlin pass that 1,000 lb threshold, anglers call them Granders. Owner Grander Tournament Marlin Hooks have the specs to haul in such fish and meet billfish tournament regulations. Again, it’s the in-line hook shape and ninety-degree point angle that qualify for tournaments.
The Owner Grander Tournament Mutu packs more strength than any of their other circle hooks. Using high carbon steel with their corrosion resistant black chrome finish, the Grander Tournament Mutu comes in Pocket Packs only. Check the details below:
- 5127T-221: Size 12/0 – 2 Per Pack
- 5127T-241: Size 14/0 – 2 Per Pack
- 5127T-261: Size 16/0 – 2 Per Pack
Main Features Of Owner Circle Hooks
The Circle Hook Shape Or Design
Circle hooks get their name from their shape, a semi-circle where the point turns back to the shank. This leaves less gape than most hook designs and it has a specific intention. While other hook shapes will immediately penetrate no matter how much a fish swallows it, the circle hook will not. It wants to slip back out when a fish eats it until it pivots on their jaw bone.
More often than not, the circle shape hooks a fish in the corner of the mouth instead of deeper inside the mouth or gut. This gives anglers the opportunity to release fish without harming them past revival. It also helps to keep your line away from the teeth of certain species by hooking in the corner of the mouth.
Triple Edge Cutting Point
Owner forges the points of their circle hooks and sharpens them to such precision that the slightest touch will penetrate your skin. It does the same to fish by using a revolutionary point design. Immediately following the super sharp point is a triangular cutting edge pattern. Three blade sharpened edges slice through flesh and cartilage once the point penetrates the mouth of a fish. Owner features their Triple Edge Cutting point on all circle hook models.
High Carbon Steel
Between the most common materials used in crafting saltwater hooks, Owner chooses high carbon steel for their circle hooks. The fact that Owner Circle Hooks consist of high carbon steel bodes well for fish as well as anglers. If a fish breaks off during a fight with the hook in their mouth, it will rust out in a short amount of time. This isn’t the case when using stainless steel hooks, though they resist rust much better.
As an advantage to anglers, high carbon steel doesn’t snap under extreme pressure like stainless steel can. Instead, it will bend and give you a much better chance of landing your prize fish. The drawback of high carbon steel in saltwater conditions is its tendency to rust. Owner addresses this issue by applying their Black Chrome Finish as you’ll read about below.
Black Chrome Finish
On every Owner Circle Hook with the exception of the red Mutu Light, you’ll find their proprietary Black Chrome Finish. The finish enhances the hooks, especially in a saltwater environment, by protecting them from corrosion. You still want to keep these hooks in dry storage away from the salty spray, as they will rust if left in saltwater.
The Black Chrome Finish also provides a stealthy look when fishing live bait. It doesn’t glint off rays of sunlight like bright stainless steel which can alert fish that something isn’t right. The red finish option in the Mutu Light works best when presenting injured baitfish or chunk bait.
Forged “Hangnail” Point
Using a forging process, Owner adds even more strength to what they dub a “hangnail” point. The hangnail term comes from the obvious angle of the point that turns in towards the shank. It’s an added feature that Owner puts into their circle hook design which helps secure a hook-set in the corner of the fishes mouth.
Ringed Or Non-Ringed Options
Many of the Owner Mutu Hook designs come with a ringed version. Though they do cost a bit more, anglers prefer them for a few of their features. Ringed hooks make a stronger overall design as they take some of the stress that heavy fish can apply. They also aid in the swim action of live bait by providing a pivot point on the hook.
Finally, Owner Ringed Circle Hooks tend to wear less against the flesh of the fish once you hook up. Again, it’s the pivot point that keeps the set hook from rounding a larger hole in the spot of penetration. The ring may also help keep an angler’s line away from the sharp teeth of larger species.
See Circle Hooks On Amazon
Pros & Cons
For either fresh or saltwater use, few hooks on the market match the strength, integrity, and piercing point precision that Owner Hooks provide. The choice of high carbon steel in their circle hooks aids fisheries and anglers alike. Owner Circle Hooks allow bait fish a more natural swim while securing your catch with the least amount of harm to the fish.
In the presentation, the Black Chrome Finish hides the circle hook while also protecting it from degrading corrosion. Using the proprietary Triple Edge Cutting Point that all Owner Circle Hooks feature, anglers hardly need to pump their rod. Just put the reel into gear with a decent amount of drag tension and the hooks will set themselves.
With a plethora of Mutu hook designs to choose from, as well as the Mosquito and Reef & Rig models, anglers can find an Owner Circle Hook to match their targeted species. Tournament anglers, in particular, can put their faith in regulation specs and hook strengths that are up for the contest. Finally, anglers have the option of Pocket Packs or larger Pro Packs in certain models.
Drawbacks Of Owner Circle Hooks
The biggest drawback to Owner Circle Hooks would be if they don’t meet the right shape or size for your type of fishing. For commercial use where hooks are subject to longer durations of saltwater exposure, stainless steel may be a better choice. Last but not least, the attention to detail, manufacturing processes, and quality materials don’t come cheap. Owner Hooks have an incredible value but tend to cost a bit more than other brands.
Saltwater Use / Best Application
Owner Circle Hooks in their many designs are very effective for pulling in any number of saltwater species. If you find yourself in that place again staring at the digital wall of hooks wondering what to choose, fret not. Owner has a roadmap for anglers to match hooks by specific species of fish or by region you plan to fish.
Owner Customer Support
As a major supplier of fishing hooks, Owner holds its customers as the most important aspect of their business. You’ll find all the contact information necessary on their website, via their phone number or email messaging system. Owner Hooks has a 30-day money back guarantee on defective or unwanted items, though independent sellers have their own return policies.
The Final Point
94 out of 100 anglers approve of Owner Circle Hooks
Owner Circle Hooks receive the highest accolades from FishtFight, as they do from so many offshore anglers. From their choice in material to their masterful design, few hooks reach the level of craftsmanship that Owner Hooks imparts. They don’t come cheap but their value is immense.
Take a moment and ask any question that comes to mind or experience fishing with Owner Circle Hooks. Just use the comment form below to start the conversation. Thanks again for hooking into another fishing product review. Stay salty until next time. FishtFight.com.