Avet Reels MXL 5.8 MC – Magic Cast
Avet reels have become a powerhouse name in California offshore fishing. There’s hardly a trip I can remember that I didn’t see someone using an Avet Reel. Avet Reels MXL 5.8 MC is the one we’ll be taking a closer look at in this review. Let’s delve inside, shall we?
Product: Avet MXL 5.8 MC Reel.
Overall Ranking: 93 out of 100 fishermen approve this reel.
Price: Middle Range.
Owners: Sarkis and Harry Alajajyan.
Introduction to Avet Reels MXL 5.8 MC
There’s a lot to this reel with groundbreaking technologies that have fancy terms. I’ll do my best to explain it in the simplest way that makes sense. Avet sells their reels with feature options. Here’s what is available with the MX series.
- Spool width: Available in narrow or wide.
- Gear options: Available in single or two speed.
- M.C.: Available with Avet’s patented Magic Cast system.
- Raptor: Available with the Raptor (dual drag) system.
- L.H.: Left handed models available only in silver.
- Colors: Available colors are Black, Blue, Gold, and Silver.
MC – Magic Cast System
The Avet Magic Cast system is described as an “adjustable magnetic anti-backlash cast control system“, which allows you to cast and take your thumb off the spool until it hits the water.
MC equipped reels can perform this freecast no matter the weight you’re casting. It is advised to return your thumb to the spool when your cast hits the water which will prevent backlash.
Raptor Dual Drag System
Avet’s Raptor system is another available option on most of their reels. This is an improvement from earlier models. Avet boasts that their Raptor Dual Drag system doubles the drag resistance on their reels.
Avet MXL 5.8 MC Reel Details
- Drag: Lever drag.
- Mono Line Capacity: 20-30 lbs.
- Aluminum Frame: Anodized finish resists corrosion.
- Stainless Steel Components: High grade steel nuts and bolts. 8 stainless steel ball bearings, and precision machined gears.
- 9 Lb Drag Capacity at the Strike Setting: Still allowing free spool.
- 16 Lb Drag Max: Fully pressed, the drag offers an adequate 16 Lbs of SLOWING power.
- One Piece Frame: Fully machined, type 2 anodized aluminum frame.
- AveDrag Washers: Avet uses dry carbon fiber drags which provide smooth peel off, and are wear resistant.
- All Reels are Machined and Constructed in the U.S.A.
Pros and Cons of the MXL 5.8 MC Reel
- Anodized Aluminum Frame: Corrosion resistant.
- Stainless Steel Parts: Strong and corrosion resistant.
- One Piece Frame: No breakable parts here.
- Lightweight: The aluminum frames keep the reel fairly light.
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty.
- Repair Program: If damages are found to be from use or abuse, Avet will repair the reel at a reasonable price for parts and labor.
- Price: 269.00 is an exceptional price for what this reel can do.
- Bells and Whistles: This reel has a lot of bells and whistles that may not be needed.
- Warranty: Listed in the pros because they have one. It could extend further than 1 year.
- Other Options: This reel surely has its following, but it might not be the best bang for your buck. It depends on your needs. Check out my Penn Fathom Review.
Who is Best Suited for the Avet MXL 5.8 MC Reel?
You could definitely get a reel that’s a lot more versatile in its uses. Still, the Avet offers a sturdy reel that should last a lifetime. It’s bells and whistles are a real attraction to some fishermen, and I can understand why. The Magic Cast option paired with a good jig stick is an attractive idea. The MXL 5.8 MC would be a suitable reel to match any rod in the 20-30 line class.
I usually wouldn’t add this category on a rod or reel review as I feel most training is on the water, in your backyard, park, etc. It is worth noting that Avet offers a video look at their Magic Cast system.
Avet Customer Support
Avet’s repair program is a strong point, though the 1 year warranty only helps with immediate defects. At least you can get factory maintenance and repair as needed, though I personally use a local business for these purposes.
Avet also offers to provide every bit of assistance possible before you have to send your reel in. I applaud Avet’s attempt at trying to avoid both customer and company the trouble. Get support by following the Avet website link at the top.
At a middle range price which includes all the available add on features, the Avet Reels MXL 5.8 MC holds good value. It’s still priced much lower than many reels that don’t boast all the features this reel comes with.
My final overall ranking of the Avet MXL 5.8 MC reel is 93 out of 100. The sturdy build and the technological features score very highly in this decision. I do recommend this reel as an option for your fishing arsenal.
I hope you enjoyed the review. Do you use an Avet reel? What is your experience? Any feedback is appreciated and will add to the value of the review. Thanks for your time.